Guest Post – The Fit Bottomed Girls

Hey Dear Reader! It’s my pleasure to introduce the first featured guests in the “Turning the Freshman 15 into the Freshman Clean” series/campaign/thingy: The Fit Bottomed Girls!

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 7.43.58 PM

Jennipher and Erin are two fitness bloggers on a mission to inspire women (and men!) to “find the fun in fitness, ditch the diet drama and embrace their inner confidence to help them realize that, yes, they are worth taking care of.”

The Fit Bottomed Girls were voted one of the Top Blogs for Fitness Junkies by Shape Magazine and having one of the Top 140 Best Twitter Feeds by TIME Magazine in 2013. They’ve got a crazy awesome social media following with over 135K fans on Facebook and 75K followers on Twitter.

Inspired by your questions on the Cath in College ask.fm, I asked Jennipher and Erin three questions about common problems that come up when trying to avoid the Freshman 15…


 

1. Why do you think the Freshman 15 is such a common phenomenon?

College is the first time most of us are out on our own — making our own decisions when it comes to food and activities (and maybe — for high school athletes — the first time you don’t have organized practices to go to). The transition and the temptation to eat high-calorie foods in the dining hall and on those late nights either studying or partying (alcohol and sleep loss don’t help either) is high.

2. What advice do you have for people who want to get active, but feel there is absolutley NO flexible time in their schedule to work out? (A lot of college students feel this way!)

We’re big on short but effective workouts like this one (you just need a deck of cards!), or these that work well in a dorm room from Blogilates.

Other fun ideas? When walking to class, walk quickly or take a slightly longer route or do a few extra flights of stairs. Also consider going to the rec center and reading/studying while on the recumbent bike or elliptical. Or, even better, turn your social time into workout time by grabbing your friends and hitting a group exercise class together (most college rec centers are amazing!)

Our last and most fun idea though is a house/apartment/dorm room dance party! Dancing is a great work out so turn on the tunes and shake that groove thang.

3. Let’s say there’s a student who wants to start eating healthfully for the first time. Should he/she go all-out health-crazy right away, or gradually get into it? If the latter, what are some slow changes they can make to their diet to start seeing a meaningful difference?

We are all about the gradual transition to healthy living so that it’s a true lifestyle change — and not a crash diet. If students can find a workout they love and do that a few times a week, plus work some fruits, veggies and lean protein into every meal, they’ll be making small steps to healthy habits. Another good rule to live by? The 80/20 Rule where you eat healthy 80 percent of the time and splurge the other 20 percent. And, yes, that includes booze. And definitely be mindful when you eat!


 

Thanks again so much to Jennipher and Erin for their contribution to the FF2FC campaign! It was so cool to get to talk to these inspiring women! 🙂 I hope I didn’t fangirl too hard…

Don’t forget to check out The Fit Bottomed Girls HERE, and have a kick-ass day, DR. *bisous*

 

Written by Catherine Goetze

Catherine Goetze www.cathincollege.com Find me on social media! Facebook: www.facebook.com/cathincollege Twitter: @catherinegoetze Instagram: @catherinegoetze SnapChat: @catherinegoetze Contact me: cathincollege@gmail.com

So, whaddaya think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s